The world changed in what seemed like hours. Suddenly the whole world is in isolation and social distance rules have eliminated jobs and altered our behaviors radically. For many, the cancellation and postponement of races, marathons, Ironmans, 70.3, et al may seem trivial. In the big picture those things probably are fairly trivial. However, many endurance athletes not only define themselves through their sport, it often serves as a form of therapy.
Looking for a great personal challenge? Need to log some big miles to get to your annual mileage goal? Maybe you are thinking about doing an ultra-marathon? Perhaps you just want to prove you are one mentally tough son-of-a-gun? Well then, try on the 4x4x48!
4 mile run, every 4 hours for 48 hours.
Participants must start and complete their 4x4x48 anytime between 12:01 AM April 9th, 2020 and 12:59 PM May 17th, 2020.
- Where does the 4x4x48 take place?
Wherever you are. The beauty of the 4x4x48 is that you do it where you are and you post your runs to Strava.
- What does the 4x4x48 cost?
$50 plus shipping, with net proceeds going to Semper Fi & America’s Fund.
- What do you get for completing the 4x4x48?
You get to tell your friends that you are likely crazier than they are...and all registrants who complete the challenge, following the rules below, will get a custom printed Reăl Men's or Women's Blue Ridge 4x4x48 Finishers T-shirt (retail value $40) and a $25 gift certificate for a future purchase at Reăl. At the end of the event shirts will be custom printed and shipped. Currently our factory is being used to make PPE for medical workers. Once we are open for normal production we will have a delivery time for the shirts.
Rules of 4x4x48
Yes there are rules.
- Participants have between 12:01 AM April 9th, 2020 and 12:59 PM May 17th, 2020 to complete their 48 hour streak.
- All entries must be GPS uploaded to the All entries must be GPS uploaded to the Reăl 4x4x48 Challenge 2020 Strava Club page.
- No bicycles, skateboards, roller blades...just good old fashioned running.
- You can start your first "leg" at any time of day but you must start each subsequent "leg" within 4 hours of the time you started the previous leg. For example, if you start at Noon, the next run would be at 4PM, then 8PM, Midnight, 4AM, 8AM...
- There will be people who ask "can I run all 48 miles at one time?" and the answer is NO. A big part of the challenge is the nature of having to spread the run out over 48 hours and go every 4 hours over and over again.